HARASSMENT GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
Any member of the school community who believes that he/she has been subjected to harassment will report the incident(s) to the grievance officer. The Assistant Superintendent is the grievance officer for the Gardner Public Schools. All complaints shall be investigated promptly and resolved as soon as possible.
The grievance officer will attempt to resolve the problem in an informal manner through the following process:
- The grievance officer will confer with the charging party in order to obtain a clear understanding of that party’s statement of the facts, and may interview any witnesses.
- The grievance officer will then attempt to meet with the charged party in order to obtain his/her response to the complaint.
- The grievance officer will hold as many meetings with the parties as is necessary to establish the facts.
- On the basis of the grievance officer’s perception of the situation he/she may:
- Attempt to resolve the matter informally through reconciliation;
- Report the incident and transfer the record to the Superintendent or his/her designee, and so notify the parties by certified mail
After reviewing the record made by the grievance officer, the Superintendent or designee may attempt to gather any more evidence necessary to decide the case, and thereafter impose any sanctions deemed appropriate, including a recommendation to the committee for termination or expulsion. At this stage of the proceedings, the parties may present witnesses and other evidence, and may also be represented. The parties, to the extent permissible by law, shall be informed of the disposition of the complaint. All matters involving harassment complaints will remain confidential to the extent possible. If it is determined that inappropriate conduct has occurred, we will act promptly to eliminate the offending conduct.
The grievance officer, upon request, will provide the charging party with government agencies that handle harassment matters.
[Adopted: May 2007]
[Revised: November 2007]
[Cross Ref: GBAA, Sexual Harassment