TEXTBOOK SELECTION AND ADOPTION
Responsibility for the review and selection of textbooks to be purchased shall rest with the Principal of each school. The Principal is encouraged through the School Committee to establish a review committee to assist in the process to determine the textbooks that best meet the curriculum guidelines of the district. The Review Committee should include teachers who will use the texts and other staff members.
Principles that apply generally to the selection of instructional materials and library materials shall apply to textbooks. Additionally, basic textbooks and textbook support materials shall be chosen to:
- advance the educational objectives of the school system and particular objectives of the course program
- contribute toward continuity, integration, and articulation of the curriculum
- establish a general framework for the particular course or program
Because the instructional purposes of textbooks, as stated above, are of such importance, particular care shall be taken in their selection as to content.
Although many points must be examined, the School Committee directs the staff to be mindful of the following considerations:
- Textbooks must be researched-based and aligned with the curriculum frameworks.
- The needs of all learners must be addressed.
- Attention should be given to gender roles depicted in the materials.
- The textbook and textbook support materials should lead the student and teacher beyond the textbook into a wide variety of other materials and educational experiences.
- If the textbook deals with problems and issues of our times, it should present and encourage examination of varied points of view.
- Because textbooks are selected for several years’ use, special attention also shall be given to their physical characteristics, durability, format and price.
[Adopted: May 11, 1998]
[Revised: March 2003]
[Revised: December 2007]
[Reviewed: September 2009]
[Revised: April 8, 2013]
M.G.L. 71:48; 30B:7; 71:50
603 CMR 26:05
KEC, Public Complaints about the Curriculum or Instructional Materials