Participation in interscholastic sports in the Gardner Public Schools is a privilege extended to those students who wish to represent our school and communities. The students who exercise this privilege of participation assume responsibility for their behavior. A student-athlete must remember that the eyes of the school and the communities focus on their behavior at all times. Student-athletes are therefore expected to conduct themselves at all times in a manner that will reflect positively upon themselves, their school and their communities.
Rules for Student Athlete Participants
In conjunction with this philosophy, the following regulations shall be adhered to by all student-athletes participating in any sport:
- All student-athletes must abide by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (M.I.A.A.) rules. A copy of these rules may be found on the M.I.A.A. web site (www.miaa.net).
- The athletic department provides bus transportation or a suitable substitute to most away games, scrimmages and or clinics. All team members are expected to travel with their team. Exceptions to this rule will be considered when a written request is made to the principal by the athlete’s parent(s) or guardian prior to the contest. A coach may give permission for an athlete to ride HOME from a game site with their parents.
- Team members are expected to dress in a neat and well-groomed manner.
- MIAA rule 56 states all students who participate in athletics must have written proof of a current physical examination and updated immunization records signed by a physician and dated within thirteen (13) months of the official starting date for that sport for any athletic participation.
- “Captain's practices" are a clear violation of M.I.A.A. rules and are prohibited. The term “captain's practice” usually means that the team’s captain organizes and conducts out-of-season practices for that sport without adult supervision.
- From the first allowable day of fall practice, through the end of the academic year or final athletic competition of the year, whichever is later, a student shall not, regardless of the quantity, use or consume, possess, buy or sell, or give away any beverage containing alcohol, any tobacco product, marijuana, steroids, or any controlled substance.
- All rules and regulations contained in the Student Handbook and Athletic Handbook must be followed.
Athletic User Fees
Students who wish to participate in the Interscholastic Athletic Program at Gardner Public Schools shall be required to pay an Athletic User Fee. The payment of the fee does not provide a student with any special consideration or entitlement with respect to playing time. Rather, fees collected in this manner are designed to help defray the operational costs of the Gardner Public Schools athletic budget.
A User Fee of $100 per EACH season of participation, and $200 for ice hockey participants, will be assessed. Students with a Reduced Lunch Waiver will be expected to pay a user fee of $50 per EACH season of participation. Hockey participants with a Reduced Lunch Waiver will be expected to pay a user fee of $100. Students with a Free Lunch Waiver will be expected to pay a user fee of $25 per EACH season of participation and hockey participants will be expected to pay a user fee of $50. A maximum fee for a family will be as follows:
- $200 per season for non-ice hockey athletes (if not using a free or reduced lunch waiver);
- $400 per season for ice hockey athletes (if not using a free or reduced lunch waiver);
- $100 per season for non-ice hockey athletes (if using a reduced lunch waiver);
- $200 per season for ice hockey athletes (if using a reduced lunch waiver);
- $50 per season for non-ice hockey athletes (if a free lunch waiver);
- $100 per season for ice hockey athletes (if using a free lunch waiver).
Waiver of Fees
Any waivers will be given at the discretion of the Athletic Director.
FEES MUST BE PAID NO LATER THAN THE FIRST OFFICIAL GAME FOR A STUDENT-ATHLETE TO PARTICIPATE. PARTICIPATION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED FOR ANY CONTEST UNTIL USER FEE IS COLLECTED.
NOTE THAT NO STUDENT ATHLETE WILL BE ISSUED A UNIFORM AND/OR EQUIPMENT UNTIL THE SCHOOL HAS RECEIVED PROPER EVIDENCE OF MEDICAL CLEARANCE, PARENTAL/GUARDIAN PERMISSION AND USER FEE
In the event a student is unable to or decides not to participate in interscholastic athletics prior to the first contest for that sport, a full refund of the fee will be granted provided that the Director of Athletics is notified prior to and up to the date of that contest.
Participation In Middle School Athletics By Parochial School Students
Parochial school students would be allowed to participate on Gardner Middle School athletic teams if the school they attend does not have a team. If the sport involves “cutting” or reducing the number of players to a certain number, Gardner Middle School students will receive preference followed by Gardner residents attending the parochial schools in Gardner. Only if the team needs additional players will Gardner parochial school students who reside outside of Gardner be allowed to play. All students who participate must pay the established user fee.
[Adopted: December 2010]
[Revised: April 2017]