- Feature Links
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information for Gardner
Please check this page regularly. It is updated on an ongoing basis. Last updated 03/31/2020 - 11:35 am
- (3/31/20) The Transfer Station will be closed to public April 1st to April 15th.
- (3/31/20) The City Special Election has been postponed.
- (3/30/20) IRS has extended the income tax filing deadline until July 15th
- (3/26/20) Video Update from Acting Mayor Walsh featuring Winfield S. Brown- President and CEO of Heywood Hospital and Jonathan Zlotnik - Second Worcester District Representative.
- (3/26/20) Waste Management is asking residents to ensure all trash goes in bags before placed in the container. Please make sure bags are well sealed. Latex gloves are not recyclable.
- (3/26/20) Commissioner of Public Health announces new orders for supermarkets and pharmacies to reduce employees & consumers exposure to COVID-19.
- (3/25/20) Governor Baker announces all schools are closed until Monday, May 4th. See both updated orders: Order Extending Closure Non-Emergency Child Care Programs and Order Extending Closure of Elementary & Secondary Schools
- (3/24/20) Text "COVIDMA" to 888-777 to receive COVID-19 text message alerts straight to your phone and stay up to date with the latest news + updates from the Commonwealth.
- (3/23/20) Governor Bakers Order assuring continued operation of essential services in the Commonwealth, closing certain workplaces, and prohibiting gatherings of more than 10 people.
- (3/23/20) Levi Heywood Library phones will be staffed from 9 am to 1 pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- (3/22/20) Heywood Hospital reports firsts positive COVID-19 test.
- (3/22/20) Building Department will be doing virtual Inspections via FaceTime on Apple products (iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc.). See more info in the Department Updates Tab.
- (3/20/20) Watch a video update from Acting Mayor Walsh, Dr. Michele Parker, and Health Director Lauren Saunders.
- (3/20/20) City of Gardner issues a Declaration of Emergency
- (3/19/20) Levi Heywood Public Library is closed to the public until further notice.
- (3/19/20) Building Dept. suspends inspections until April 6th. See Dept. Updates Tab for more details.
(3/19/20) COVID-19 Response Command Center Situation Report for March 18th from MEMA
- (3/18/20) Fire Headquarters is closed to the general public until further notice. See Department Updates Tab for more details.
(3/17/20) MART Announces Services Changes Please check their website for the most up to date information.
- (3/17/20) As of 8:29 am, there are NO confirmed cases of COVID-19 coronavirus in Gardner per the Gardner Health Department.
- (3/16/20) Food service for ALL Gardner Public School students is up and running Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. These meals are FREE for all students regardless of lunch status. Please share this update to ensure that it reaches all of our families in need.
- (3/15/20) Governor Bakers Order on prohibiting assemblages of more than 25 people
- (3/15/20) Gardner Public Schools are closed until April 7, per MA Governor
- (3/15/20) Gardner City Hall, DPW & Animal Shelter Buildings Closed to Public until further notice.
- (3/14/20) Levi Heywood Memorial Library Closed to the Public until Monday March 30th - outside drop box will remain open.
- (3/13/20) Senior Center closed until further notice.
All departments are closed to the public. Please conduct all business by phone, mail or email.
Building Department Begins Virtual Inspections (updated 3/22/20)
Beginning Monday March 23, 2020 the Building Department, in an attempt to provide services during these difficult times, will be doing virtual Inspections via FaceTime on Apple products (iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc.). This is a work in progress and cooperation from the applicant is paramount. Please listen to the inspector’s requests and move slowly so that we may see what needs to be seen. We are working toward being able to do virtual inspections on non-Apple devices and will update when that happens.
We do not anticipate that ALL inspections will be able to be performed in this manner. We are trying to keep as many jobs going as we can, and protect everyone involved at the same time. To inquire about setting up a virtual inspection, please call the Building Department at 978-630-4007.
Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Gas permits can still be obtained online
Fire Station (updated 3/18/20)
In order to protect the health and safety of everyone, Fire Headquarters is closed to the general public until further notice. You may call 978-630-4051 for information.
- No routine inspections will be done until the first week of April, subject to conditions at that time.
- Inspections for life or property threatening situations WILL be conducted on a case by case basis.
- Many permits may be accessed online. Please call us if you need any assitance with online permits.
Please rest assured we are still on-duty every day to keep you safe.
The direct office phone number is 978-630-4013.
Jen Daigle, BOH Administrative Coordinator, Alcohol Commission firstname.lastname@example.org
Angela DiPrima, BOH Administrative Coordinator email@example.com
Rick Rossi, Assistant Director of Public Health firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Saunders, Director of Public Health email@example.com
Transfer Station Temporarily Closed (3/31/20)
The Gardner BOARD OF HEALTH has made the decision to temporarily close the transfer station. The transfer station will be closed to the public April 1-April 15th. Before the 15th the board will re-evaluate the status of the closure and we will notify residents.
Trash & Recycling will continue on its regular schedule.
Parking and Civil Enforcement
Levi Heywood Public Library (3/19/20)
Closed to the public until further notice. Phones will be staffed from 9 am to 1 pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Gardner Public Schools are closed until May 4th per Governor Baker (3/25/20). Food service for ALL students is up and running. Meals will be available Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. These meals are FREE for all students regardless of lunch status.(updated 3/16/20 11:16 am).
What is the City Doing?
The Gardner Department of Public Health (GDPH) is paying close attention to the situation in Massachusetts, the country, and around the world. GDPH is closely collaborating, planning, and coordinating with the City and the Gardner Public Schools.
Staff are participating in conference calls with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Heath (MDPH), and receiving regular updates from both agencies. GDPH is also sharing state and federal guidance, as it becomes available, with Gardner first responders, school officials, and other groups.
We’ve closed Municipal buildings to the public for the protection of both residents and employees. At this time, City of Gardner employees associated with these buildings will continue to report to work and departments will remain open. The City intends to maintain essential functions and services to the fullest extent possible. The public will be able to contact all departments by phone and email.
Bills can be paid online, via mail, or put in the drop box located outside the main entrance of City Hall.