SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN
The principal, in conjunction with the school council, shall be responsible for preparing a written school improvement plan annually. The plan should be drafted with the following in mind:
1. The educational goals for the school shall be consistent with the goals and standards, including student performance standards, as adopted by the Massachusetts Board of Education and by the school committee.
2. An assessment of the needs of the school in light of the proposed educational goals.
3. The means to address student performance.
4. Professional development for the school’s staff.
5. The enhancement of parental and community involvement in the life of the school, safety, and discipline.
6. The development of means for meeting the diverse learning needs of every child including those students with special needs and limited English proficiency.
7. Clearly identify actions to be taken on how changes will be implemented.
8. The plans shall include the impact of class size and teacher-to-student ratio on student performance.
9. Any further subjects as the principal, in consultation with the school council, shall consider appropriate, except that:
a. The council shall have no authority over matters that are subject to Chapter 150E, the collective bargaining law, and
b. The council may not expand the scope of its authority beyond that established in laws or expressly granted by school committee policy
The school improvement plan shall be submitted to the superintendent and to the school committee for review and approval by the May school committee meeting each year.
If the school improvement plan is not approved by the superintendent and school committee, it shall be returned to the principal with specific comments as to the reason(s). The principal shall revise the plan in cooperation with the school council and resubmit it for approval. If the school improvement plan is not reviewed by the school committee within 30 days of its receipt by the committee, the plan shall be deemed to have been approved.
[Reviewed: December 2001]
[Revised: April 2005]
[Reviewed: September 2011]
M.G.L. 71, SECTION 59C